When I started realizing the amount of toxins I was willingly spending money on, to ignorantly poison my family, I began a journey I had no idea I was on... We are absorbing hundreds of neurotoxins and hormone disruptors by using everyday products, items we thought were safe for our bodies and our homes. From deodorant to household cleaners, synthetic fragrances to toothpaste. Just start looking at what you are absorbing...
Fortunately, there are inexpensive, multiuse, natural options readily available. Here are my top ten most useful, NON TOXIC, valuable items to have on hand.
1. Coconut Oil: Let me be more specific. Unrefined Cold-Pressed Virgin Organic Coconut Oil. (I have found the best deal at Aldi's.) I use this stuff for everything really.. I oil pull in the mornings (swishing it around for up to 20 mins first thing in the am) Not only does it whiten your teeth, it pulls toxins from your system. Its also excellent for lotion, toothpaste, deodorant, cooking and baking, consuming in coffee, in smoothies, its great for digestion, lubrication, pretty much everything...
2. Essential Oils: Organic, Pure, Food Grade Essential Oils (I use Young Living, and trust their Seed to Seal Quality so much I chose to become a Wholesale Distributor) Essential Oils changed the game.. completely. Having them on hand is not only essential and smart, but empowering, easy, having them on hand saves money, saves time, saves you peace of mind.. they are natures original medicine, and anything that ails you can be assisted with oils! you can use them in food, take in a capsule, apply topically and you can diffuse into the air for a natural beneficial fragrance.
3. Baking soda: Any type is fine, however you can find food grade quality. This stuff is amazing for cleaning, deodorizing, scouring and scrubbing, a whitener for clothes, teeth, a facial scrub, a additive in the tub, on the rugs(with some essential oils) This stuff is probably the least acknowledged yet been around the longest and is one of the most useful items for the household.
4. Honey: specifically Raw with the honey comb from your Local Bee Keeper. Not only is honey excellent for its wound care, its antibacterial and antiviral properties, consuming it daily is excellent for allergies, and immunity. Honey is also great used as a cough suppressant, to soothe sore throats, use as a face mask, as an alternative for sugar(which is terrible for you).
5. Vinegars: great for laundry, cleaning, face wash and great in cooking recipes.. Not only is this a must have on hand for just about anything, vinegar is said to help the body absorb minerals and enzymes. Its said to lower insulin spikes after meals and aid in digestion. Especially helpful in calcium for women, adding vinegar to your daily life is a must. I found an oz of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of water with a couple drops of lime essential oil, to be a tasty way to get my daily intake up.
6. Bentonite Clay: This stuff is awesome for digestion, boosting immunity, energy, removing toxins, balances pH, great for digestive issues, face mask.. this was one of my ingredients for my homemade toothpaste, to remineralize the teeth and gums.. I highly recommend taking it internally as a daily regimen.
7. Himalayan Pink Salt: so many minerals!! This stuff is easy to replace your white salt with.. It regulates pH balances, helps strengthen bones, helps with hydration, circulation, digestion, absorption,lower blood pressure said to strengthen your libido, and reduce signs of aging.
8. Aloe: Yes the plant!! This miracle plant is excellent for Burns, rehydrating the skin, face masks, cuts, scrapes, stings, take internally for digestion and intestinal health, the plant is an excellent air purifier and detoxifier.
9. Activated Charcoal: I found this stuff when my goats ate some poisonous leaves. This is a great detoxifier. Will rid your system of parasites and toxins. Can be taken as a daily supplement for a digestive aid, it alleviates gas and bloating. great for your skin and body. Also have used it as a teeth whitener.
10.Hydrogen Peroxide: Great bleach alternative, Ive used this stuff as a whitener in laundry, in the bath, as a mouthwash with some peppermint oil.. Very useful in cleaning.
There are a few other things that have changed my world but these are my top 10 list! I hope this helps in your journey to a cleaner, healthier lifestyle!
Boni Weller, DONA Trained Doula
Natasha has 18 years of experience working with birthing and postpartum mothers. She is well versed and rounded with experience in holistic wellness and integrative medicine. Natasha focus is to treat the body as whole instead of a symptom.